Saturday, January 7, 2012
Tagalog Pinakbet Recipe by Panlasang Pinoy - Filipino Free Recipes
Pakbet tagalog is a tasty vegetable dish made-up of different fresh vegetables, pork, and shrimp paste. This dish is a variation of the popular dish, Pakbet Ilokano, that originated from the Ilocos Region.
This recipe is comprised of different vegetables such as eggplant (talong), squash (kalabasa), sting beans (sitaw), ampalaya (bitter melon), okra, and others. Since there are quite a number of ingredients required, I usually carry a shopping list and buy the freshest produce from a nearby market on the day that I’ll cook them. When it comes to the Shrimp paste, I always buy an extra bottle from the Asian store so that I won’t run out of stock.
Before I forget…have that rice cooker going because you might need some extra rice. Oh…one more thing. Have a cold soda (soft drinks) on your side or some cold juice to get rid of that shrimpy taste after you’re done. Happy cooking!
Try this Pakbet Tagalog recipe.
1/4 lb pork, thinly sliced
1 large egg plant, chopped
1 medium-sized bitter melon, chopped
1/4 lb squash, chopped into 2×1 inch cubes
3 pieces large tomato, sliced
1 piece onion, sliced
1 tbsp ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
6 to 8 pieces okra
1 bunch string beans, cut in 3 inches length
4 tbsp shrimp paste
1 cup water
3 tbsp cooking oil
salt and pepper
1. Heat the pan and put the cooking oil.
2. When oil is hot enough, saute the garlic, ginger, onion, and tomato
3. Add the pork and cook until color turns light brown (about 5 to 8 minutes)
4. Put-in the shrimp paste and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until pork is tender
6. Put-in the squash and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until texture becomes soft
7. Add the remaining vegetables and mix with the other ingredients.Simmer for 5 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked. (Do not overcook the vegetables)
8. Serve hot with steamed white rice. Share and Enjoy!
Filipino Free Recipe From: http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/09/09/filipino-food-vegetable-dish-pinakbet-pakbet-tagalog-recipe/
Watch instructional video here: http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/09/09/filipino-food-vegetable-dish-pinakbet-pakbet-tagalog-recipe/