Wrapped Adobo with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Skip To Malou


Between unpacking boxes, exploring the new city and adjusting to a new job, forging new friendships is one of the daunting tasks associated with moving.  So when we learned of a wine tasting event at the lobby of our loft, my husband and I knew it was a good way to meet new friends.   It's a little awkward not knowing anyone. You navigate around people and it feels like speed dating! But once you get a connection, and say the words " Really? me too!" a potential friendship begins.

So after that evening of wine tasting, I received a text message the following day.  And thanks to my four semesters of  studying French , I was able to give my phone number in French to Emily, mon nouvel amie.

Would you like to join us for a ladies' evening? We will watch the season opener of Desperate Housewives came the text message.

Before I could even realize that I never watch the series,  I typed in Y-E-S then pressed sent.

Great was the reply.  I will have some pizza and drinks but feel free to bring some food.

While I was deliberating on what food to bring, I saw a note on my Facebook wall from Divya,  the daughter of my dear friend Nimmi B from Florida. On her note, Divya asked me how I make my adobo. Ta-dah... there it was an A-HA moment!  I remember how we met the B's: Both of our families just moved to Florida at that time, met in a church event, had some "Really, me too!"  connections then  our friendship flourished through constant get togethers. Filipino dishes like adobo were prepared on my end and warm nan along with her spicy curry dishes at their house.  With that in mind, I was convinced that  bringing Adobo wraps to Emily's place will be the start of a new friendship in a new place. Thank you Divya for the inspiration!

----------------------------------------------------------
Adobo Wrap with Pineapple Vinaigrette

For the adobo: (and Divya this is specially for you!)
 There are so many variations in making adobo.  I like to keep mine simple.  Also, adobo is better as it sits longer, so I usually make a big pot of adobo and hang on to the left-overs.  To get an authentic adobo taste, I would advice using  Filipino vinegar and soy sauce.  You could buy them from any Asian Store.

 2-3 lbs. pork/chicken
3/4 c vinegar
1/2 c soy sauce
pepper
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
3 bay leaves (crushed)
3/4 c water (you could add more as needed)

In a saucepan, combine all the wet  ingredients and crushed garlic together. Let it simmer.  Add black pepper and crushed bay leaves.  Allow the ingredients to fuse in together for a few more minutes then you are ready to add the pork/ chicken. Cook for about 30 minutes. (For Divya, you stop here. Adobo is cooked and ready to be eaten... that simple.  But for this particular wrap, please continue) Drain the pork and set aside the sauce as you will need it later on for the romaines. Let it cool.   Slice the cooked adobo into cubes (bite size)

Pineapple Vinaigrette
1/2 c pineapple juice
1/2 c apple cider
2-3 tbsp rum (optional but highly recommended as this was suggested by my friend Basil, and it definitely added the zing!)
salt and pepper to taste.
1/4 c white sugar (you could add more if you want it a little sweeter)
2-3 tbsp olive oil

In a separate pan, combine all ingredients and let it simmer, Continue to stir until the sugar dissolves.  Let it cool.. Pour the sauce mixture in a bowl.  Add 2-3 tbsps of olive oil.  Whisk it together.  This will serve as your dressing.

For the wrap we need:
Boiled eggs
Grapefruit
Pineapple chunks
Romaine (hand torn)
Tomatoes (sliced)
Cashews

In a bowl, toss the romaine with the adobo sauce. Layer all the other ingredients, tomatoes, sliced boiled eggs, pineapple chunks, grapefruit slices and cashews. Drizzle a generous amount of the Pineapple/Vinegar/Rum dressing.  On a flat surface. lay a piece of tortilla wrapper.  Put the tossed ingredients in the middle, add  adobo cubes  and roll it tightly to make a nice wrap... Enjoy!

I am submitting this post as my entry for this month's Kulinarya Cooking Club.  This month's theme is very patriotic.  Cook something that represents the colors of  the Philippine flag: red, white, blue and yellow. Our hosts for this month are: Oggi of I Can Do That, Day of Chef By Day, Boyet of Reel and Grill and Ray of Wok with Ray. Thank you for a challenging yet creative theme this month guys!

KULINARYA was started by a group of Filipino foodies living in Sydney, who are passionate about the Filipino culture and its colourful cuisine. Each month we will showcase a new dish along with their family recipes. By sharing these recipes, we hope you find the same passion and love for Filipino Food as we do.
Check out all the other entries this month:
Dudut : Salted Fish Rice
Elizabeth: Chicken Curry and Mango Chutney
Peach: Pinakbet
Day: Adobong Dilaw
Adora: Ube Macapuno Inipit
Oggi: Red, White, Yellow, Blue Special
Tina: Cathedral Window for Rye's Birthday
Felix: Ensaladang Labanos
Joy Red, Yellow, Red and Blue?
Ray: Grilled Pork Belly and Ensaladang Manga
Caroline: Salted Duck Egg and Tomato Salad
Thea :Kulinarya Cooking Club: Philippine History Edition

Pinoy Food recipe from: http://www.skiptomalou.net/2011/09/wrapped.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Do The 28 Day Keto Diet Now

Homemade Tocino Recipe For Every Juan

Thai Beef Stew By Men's Health