Korean Beef Stew By Tessa Cruz


For as long as I can remember, the Korean Beef Stew at the fastfood joint House of Kimchi was always been one of my favorites.  I loved the spicy-sweet sauce that I'd spoon over the hot rice.  I would usually go back to the counter to ask for another serving of the sauce (I'd tell the server na nagsebo na yung dish so I needed a hot refill).

When my mom opened her own little eatery in Novaliches (Tessa's Kainan sa Sangandaan, of course!), she served the quintessential Beef Pares but called it Korean Beef. I remember the male customers unable to resist making inappropriate cracks about Korean Bugs (supposedly an aphrodisiac). It wasn't quite the same as the Beef Stew, but it would occasionally satisfy my craving for the real thing when going to SM Foodcourt was not possible at that moment.

Fast forward to 2007, I stumbled upon an entry on Connie Veneracion's Pinoycook blog that had the recipe for Kimchi's Korean Beef Stew.  I thanked her for the recipe and planned to cook the dish this weekend.  (Side note:  It turns out that Connie's husband Speedy works with my dad.  Papa even mentioned that Connie wrote the script for the birthday presentation that his co-workers prepared for him.  So sweet and nice of her!)

Yesterday, I went to Super-H (Asian grocery) and got some beef short ribs, sesame seeds and onion leaves.  I followed the recipe to the letter, with the exception of adding a bit of chili sesame oil, at my mom's suggestion.

Here's my first attempt at Korean Beef Stew a la Kimchi:

And to complete the meal, we had beansprouts and, of course, rice!

The verdict:  I thought it tasted exactly as I remembered it - I could almost see myself sitting in those plastic tables and benches in the Foodcourt.  Glen said it tasted great.  So it looks like I have a new addition to my cooking repertoire!  Come and have dinner with us sometime and I'll prepare it for you!

Source: http://tessacruz.multiply.com/journal/item/81/Korean_Beef_Stew?&show_interstitial=1&u=%2Fjournal%2Fitem

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Do The 28 Day Keto Diet Now

Homemade Tocino Recipe For Every Juan

Thai Beef Stew By Men's Health