Monday, December 26, 2011
Korean Beef Stew By Niche Topics
Korean Spicy Beef Stew Yukgaejang Recipe
10 cups water
1 pound beef brisket, cut into thin slices
2½ tablespoons cooking oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1½ tablespoons fresh ginger root, grated
1 medium daikon radish, peeled and cut into thick slices
1 stalk spring onion, cut into short lengths
2 cups bean sprouts, tailed
4 tablespoons Korean chili powder (gochugaru; more if you desire a super spicy yuk gae jang)
soy sauce to taste
1½ tablespoons rice wine
How to make Korean spicy beef yuk gae jang stew:
1. Place water in a soup pot, and bring it to a boil over high heat.
2. Add beef slices, and reduce heat to low. Allow beef to simmer uncovered until tender. It should take around 50-60 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and ginger. Stir fry until fragrant.
4. Toss in radish, spring onion and bean sprouts.
5. Add chili powder, soy sauce and rice wine. Mix well with the vegetables, and stir fry until veggies are tender, about 4-5 minutes.
6. Turn off heat. Dish up vegetables and add to simmering beef soup.
7. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover your soup pot and let spicy beef stew simmer for another 10-12 minutes. Stir occasionally so that the beef slices will not stick to the base of soup pot.
8. Remove from heat. Ladle Korean spicy yukgaejang beef stew into 4 individual bowls. Serve hot with steamed rice. Wonderful dish for lunch or dinner!