Chinese Beef Stew By r2bcluvs2Cook


Lately I’ve been hoping to learn how to make some quick Chinese dishes and I’ve found some good websites with recipes that sound pretty interesting and not too complicated. I had some stew meat tonight and I am bored of regular stew, so I went online and found this Chinese stew recipe – it is actually pretty good!

Here are the original recipe instructions – my changes are below the recipe:

INGREDIENTS

2 lbs stewing beef or pork shoulder, cube 3/4″ – 1″
oil (vegetable, peanut, Canola)
1 lb vegetable, cut up (carrots, lo bok, etc)
Seasonings
1 medium yellow onion, cut in large chunks – to taste (leek works well too)
1-4 clove garlic, smashed
1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and smashed
2 star anise (opt for beef)
1-2 piece chinese dried orange rind (opt for beef)
chile, fresh or dried (optional)
Sauce
2-4 teaspoons brown sugar (start with the smaller amount and add more if desired)
2/3 cup soy sauce (use a combination of light and dark in any proportion)
2 teaspoons dry sherry
2 cups boiling water
Directions
*Staranise comes in the form of an eight point star. each point having an anise seed in it.
Most of them are broken up so use a total of eight points, more or less, to taste.
**Theorange (or tangerine) peel has a slightly bitter taste that I like better with beef but this is personal taste.
It comes in plastic bags and has a long shelf life.
Start by browning the meat in a few T of oil.
Do it in batches so it gets well caramelized.
When the last of the meat is well browned, remove it all to a bowl.
(Add more oil as needed).
Add the onion, garlic, ginger, anise, orange peel and chiles to the wok (or pot); keep cooking, stirring frequently, until the onion starts to brown.
Stir in the meat along with the sauce, bring it to a full boil, stir well and reduce heat to simmer.
Cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour (pork) or 2 hours (beef).
Adjust seasonings, add the vegetables and simmer, covered for another half hour.
Before serving, remove all the pieces of ginger, star anise, orange peel, chile, etc.
Serve with steamed rice or boiled noodles.
So, I didn’t have all the ingredients (big surprise) so here’s what I did as an alternative (hubby said it was really yummy). I used the following veggies and sauted them and added to the already cooked beef stew meat (as was directed in recipe): celery, onion, garlic, red and yellow sweet peppers, brown mushrooms. I also didn’t have star anise but I did have anise seeds so I just threw a few in, and I didn’t have ginger so I just added approx 1/4 tsp powdered ginger…so obviously I didn’t remove them from the stew as directed in the recipe. I also did not have the chile or orange rind so I just left them out – I’m sure it would be better if they were included as expected.

Source: http://r2bcluvs2cook.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/chinese-beef-stew/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Do The 28 Day Keto Diet Now

Homemade Tocino Recipe For Every Juan

Thai Beef Stew By Men's Health