1 lb. shin beef
1 oz. scallion
1/2 oz. crushed ginger
1 1/2 cinnamon stick
1 petal star anise
2 tbsps rice wine
3 tbsps dark soy sauce
1 oz. crystal sugar
Salt to taste
2 tsps. Sesame oil
1. Cut the beef into 1-inch cubes and dip into boiling water for about 15 seconds, the remove and drain.
2. Put the scallions and ginger in the bottom of a casserole and lay the beef on top.
3. Add cinnamon, star anise, rice wine, soy sauce and sugar together with 2 ½ cup water.
4. Cover the casserole with a tight fitting lid. Bring to the boil, then cook on a low heat for 4 hours. There should be very little gravy left when the cooking is finished.
5. Before serving, adjust the seasoning with salt and sugar and sprinkle with sesame oil.