Tuesday, December 27, 2011
Beef Mechado - Free Filipino Recipe
500g shin beef, sliced into bite-size pieces
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, diced
3 red chillies, seeded and sliced
1 medium carrots, sliced in 1/2 in sections
2 medium potatoes, quartered
2 beef cubes, dissolved in water
2 cans tomato sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp vinegar
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp cooking oil
a dash of salt and pepper (optional)
How to cook:
1. In a pan, heat 3 tbsp olive oil and fry beef until brown. Set aside.
2. Add 3 tbsp cooking oil. Saute garlic and onion until fragrant.
3. Add beef and let simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Pour in tomato sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, beef stock, bay leaves and water.
5. Bring to a boil and simmer until beef is fork tender.
6. Add potatoes, carrots, bell pepper and red chillies.
7. Let simmer until the vegetables are cooked and sauce has thickened.
8. Season with salt and pepper (optional).
9. Serve hot with steamed rice.