I first ate Korean Beef Stew at the old Kimchi Korean Fastfood in the mid-seventies. My love for Korean beef stew inspired me to make my own version similar to the Kimchi Korean beef Stew. Here is my version that is a hit with my guests.
Korean Beef Stew
1k beef ribs (half kilo is lean and half kilo are beef shanks or short ribs)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice wine
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 head crushed garlic
1 onion head
1 Tbsp Ginger, crushed
1 cup green onions, sliced
5 pieces red sili finely chopped
Combine the first 8 ingredients
Marinate beef overnight
1. Heat oil and sear marinated beef
2. pour marinade
3. add enough water just to submerge beef
4. simmer over low heat (2 hours) until tender or pressure cook for 45 minutes.
5. season to taste with sugar, salt, pepper and red sili
6. garnish with green onions, 1 tsp sesame oil, sesame seed.