2 1/2 lbs beef chuck steak cut into 1 1/2" squares
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1 medium onion
3 medium ripe tomatoes
3 medium potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 bay leaves
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
vegetable oil for deep frying
4-5 cups stock or water
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 of lemon juice
1/2 cup green olives
1/2 cup button mushroom
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Cut chuck steak into 1 1/2" squares. Rub with salt and pepper and garlic. Pan fry, covered until brown and tender, allow to cool.
2. Saute garlic, onion, tomatoes in olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Add the cubed beef, beef stock or water, tomato paste and lemon juice and bay leaves. Stir well, cover the pan with tight -fitting lid.
4. Lower the heat and cook slowly until beef is tender. Stir occasionally.
5. When beef is tender, add potatoes and olives.
6. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender, add button mushrooms and red and green peppers. Mix well.
7. Cook for another 2 minutes. You can expect about 2 cups of sauce or gravy.