Grilled Liempo or Pork Belly is one of the most popular Pinoy food here in the Philippines. As far as I know, the proper way of cooking Grilled Liempo is to marinate the Pork Belly for 3 hours then grill it.
Grilled Liempo is served in almost anywhere in the Philippines. You can order this food to fast food to fine dining restaurants, in karinderyas and in bars. Below is the recipe for Grilled Liempo.
2 kilograms pork belly
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
1-1/4 tablespoon soy sauce
2-1/2 tablespoons 7-Up
1. Marinate pork belly in a mixture of all the above for 24 hours in the refrigerator, well covered, naturally so as not to affect the rest of the stuff in there.
2. Braise in marinade for 15 minutes; skin side down.
3. Hang and dry pork belly for around 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Roast over medium heat on a spit with charcoal; or, place in an oven rotisserie and roast until skin is crisp and crackling.
5. Chop and serve with hot steamed rice and cucumber salad. The dish is usually served with a dipping sauce of vinegar with a bit of crushed garlic and/or hot pepper mixed in.
Recipe by: Lutong Pinoy
Photo by: Ced